Anniversary in French Lick

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

First Dose of Chemo - Round 3

Melissa drove me down to Indy yesterday and we got checked in. I had my first round of chemo around 5pm and had some headaches and a little dizziness afterwards. They started me back up on the cocktail of headache and nausea medicines that we had settled on last time I was in and they seem to have mostly gone away.

We got to speak with the neurology team for a while just before Melissa left. We talked about everything from my joint pain and nerve pain to headaches and blurry vision. Dr. Snook is going to ask a few other doctors about my symptoms but about all we were able to conclude is that the pain in my feet and hands are opposite symptoms. The foot pain could be due to the tendons on the bottom of my feet being contracted and having trouble stretching out, causing a higher arch. It's anyone's guess why I can't make a fist but they suspect tendons also. Dr. Snook also wanted me to get checked out by the vision clinic here at the hospital to map my field of vision to see if I'm having blind spots.

The rest of the doctors came around this morning for their rounds. They said that since I started taking Alieve a week ago for my joint pain, my kidney function has decreased a bit so we're going to stop with those pills. Apparently to measure kidney function, they measure the amount of creatinine being held in my system which isn't being secreted and disposed of. Before I started on the Alieve, I was at a normal level right around 1.00. After a week, my creatinine level has risen to 1.65. They told me that you really only need 25% kidney function to be considered healthy and that this change is likely due to the Alieve and very likely reversible. They plan to keep an eye on this while I'm here though so I'll update as they update me.

Eric

1 comment:

  1. Let us know how your treatments progress. We all wish you the best, and know that your strength will help you face this next challenge too.

    ReplyDelete