Anniversary in French Lick

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Another move and more good news

They just now moved Eric back up to the MICU on the 6th floor (room B8). If you sent a card to the other room, it will still find him.

The nurses on the new floor are qualified to give him chemo. The other floor we had to request nurses to give him the chemo drip. He continues to be stable and is looking much more comfortable. I think getting the new bed and having no more problems with the ventilation tube has helped out a ton! Plus, the new bed is just cool! I think Sara talked about it in her previous post.

I don't have new updates on his blood counts other than the white blood cells. They are now down to 53,000 (from 100,000+ when he checked in) and continue to drop. The doctor said that his other counts remain fine and they are doing everything they can to pump more blood products into him. The doctor looks more confident everyday he comes in to see him, which is also reassuring. He explained to us yesterday that the cancer cells cause a reaction in his body that attacks the platelets and clotting factors, so that whole problem will start getting easier and easier to manage as the chemo keeps working. They did mention that they don't think he will get off the ventilator until mid next week. Obviously, we had hoped that he'd be off it sooner so that he can be awake, but if that is what it takes (and the worst news we get), I'll take it!

We also discussed more about what will happen once he is moved to the oncology ward. (This will happen once he is off the ventilator.) They said that they really encourage family and friends to come visit him. Obviously if you are sick, you will not be allowed inside, but otherwise it really helps patients get through the recovery period. They even allow pets to come visit, so he'll get to see Bailey! While he is in the ICU, though, they limit the number of people that can see him to two, so please wait to come visit until he is more stable and able to be off the ventilator. Other than that, there are no more updates. We just need to continue to wait and monitor his blood to get him everything that he needs. This is a big lesson in pantience for me. I feel like I can't wait to hear the latest blood counts, can't wait for the next round of chemo, can't wait till they drop the settings on the ventilator a little more, can't wait till he gets to wake up. I really don't want to rush him, but I just want things NOW! Somehow I don't think stomping my foot and throwing a temper tantrum like I used to do as a kid will speed anything up, though.

I also wanted to thank everyone for your posts, emails, phone calls and cards. It really is very cheering to hear from everyone and know that we are cared for.

Love as always,
Melissa

PS the doctor also mentioned that he's really excited to see Eric stand up. He honestly didn't believe us at first when we told him Eric's height and weight. He had to see how his legs were tucked up in the bed to confirm it for himself.

4 comments:

  1. Melissa, thank you for taking the time to update all of us. I cannot fathom how hard this has to be on you and the balance of Eric's family, and if there is anything those of us out-of-state can do to ease the burden in anyway please do not hesitate to ask.
    Adrienne and I are going to try to stop by either on the 23rd or 26th, ask Guido for my cell and we can figure out what will work best with Eric's condition.

    Jeff and Adrienne Hester

    PS- Guido did tell me that Eric's bone bent the needle during the biopsy, which can only mean one thing; he is Wolverine and has an adamantium skeleton that he has kept a secret all of these years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, Thank you so much for taking the time to update us all. Eric is strong and he will get through this. I am glad to hear about the improvements too. Also you and all of Eric's family are so awesome for being there and sticking by his side. I agree with Jeff, if there is anything us out-of-staters can do please let us know.
    Jaime and I have some vacation time coming up between Christmas and New Year's. Let me know when a good time is to make it over for a visit.

    Thinking of all of you alot,
    Adam & Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I wanted to send my regards to all of you. I heard this past weekend that Eric was in the hospital. Although it's been quite some time since I've been in touch with you all it still broke my heart to hear. I'm glad to see that he seems to be doing well and of course is quite a fighter! I work at IU Hospital down in the operating room and live not too far away downtown. If you need a friend, a cup of coffee or just somewhere to hang out at any time while you guys are in town please don't hesitate to call. If there's anything at all that I can do for you please let me know. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your families as you go through this time. I'm all too familiar with how a cancer diagnosis affects everyone but rest assured you're in the best place to be! My cell phone is 317-490-9902 and my e-mail address is ediana.day@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric, Melissa and Family,
    You are all in our prayers. And we are pulling for Eric's recovery. If it provides any hope another friend of ours from High School was diagnosed with leukemia this fall.. and three months later is in remission. I hope that can be a positive thought for you to hold onto. We will keep following your posts and pray for the best. If you need any help (someone to watch your home or care for your dog) please don't hesitate to ask.
    Love and Prayers,
    Jenna and Andy

    ReplyDelete