Anniversary in French Lick

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

First Day of Rehab

I'm going to try to make this pretty quick so I can get some sleep.

Today was pretty much all assessments of strength. I had two sessions of physical therapy where they focused on my lower body and abdomen and two sessions of operational therapy which focused on upper body.

In the morning I had PT first. I did some leg exercises and then took about 30 steps using the parallel bars. It felt pretty good, I used my arms mainly for stability and was able to walk the entire distance without any help. Immediately after that I went into an OT session but wasn't able to do much, I was so exhausted that I got pretty light headed and spent most of the hour laying down, doing some arm exercises.

After OT, I got to take a 1.5hr nap before lunch. I'm back on a calorie count so they review how many calories I eat after I'm done with my plate, which I'm having no problem with considering the amount of exercise I'm getting. Right now I supposed to eat at least 2400 calories per day, which is pretty difficult on lean hospital food, but I wouldn't be surprised if they uped that number due to the activities they're having me do. I guess I should mention that the threat they are holding over my head is that if I don't average 2400 calories during the 3 day calorie count, they will cut a hole in my stomach and put a feed tube directly into it which doesn't sound pleasant.

After lunch, they came back and got me again for more OT. They took some measurements of how strong my grip was using my full hand as well as a few different combinations of fingers. In the end it looks like my grip is about 25% of a typical 25yr old.

Again I got to come back to the room and get some rest before my last half hour of PT. This was a half hour because we were actually working to build muscle. It was hard but it made me realize what I need to work on the most.

After dinner, I got to take my first shower since the second week of December. It was terrific, all the hot water I wanted! I stayed in there until my neck was so tired I couldn't keep my head up anymore.

We'll see how tomorrow goes but I think I'm going to bounce back pretty fast if I can make it through all four sessions each day.

Eric

P.S.: I almost forgot, they pulled my peripheral IV last night also so I'm now free of all lines and hoses.

9 comments:

  1. Eric - a great day! Also a great update - thanks for spending the time and energy to let us know how things are going.

    The therapy sounds hard, but you can do this!

    Remember how I always said you make everything into an athletic competition? Now is the time to do it again. (Ask the therapists when you can swing a golf club or bounce a basketball.)

    Love - mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent! thanks for reporting!
    Love, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hurry up, Eric! It's supposed to be nice this weekend. Maybe we can play golf (if Coyote Crossing hasn't gone back to a private club; stoopid coyotes).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eric,
    This is awesome news!! Its so nice to have you posting your own blogs too! Doesnt it feel amazing to have nothing hooked up to you?! Keep up the hard work - we are all pulling for you!
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric, I am so happy to hear all the big accomplishments that have happened for you in such a short amount of time. I'm sure that you are thrilled to be able to move around without getting wrapped up in some cord or another constantly also. Hooray for walking ANY distance with or without help. Thanking God every day for his miraculous work with you. Good luck with your therapy and continuing to get stronger day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eric,
    I've been hanging on to that CAO Brazilia that you gave me, and I'm waiting until you are in tip top shape. Keep up the great progress and we'll see ya soon!
    -andy

    ReplyDelete
  7. OK, so seriously, Eric....I am in tears, crying my eyes out. The kids and I just got back from Houston, visiting my mom & dad. I have been completely out of the groove of 'life' being 'away'.
    I was reading this,but it wasn't until mid way through the first paragraph that 'Melissa, Sara, or Kathy's' points of view weren't making any sense. It took me a few seconds to grasp that YOU were writing the post!!!

    I did come and visit you in the ICU, but...let's just say....it's hard to read notes THIS exciting and NOT become emotional.

    If they want you to sing,sing...if they want you to eat,eat...if they want you to dress like a duck and quack..SAY NO!! :) Just do whatever you have to continue to make these INCREDIBLE gains on the rode to recovery!
    Even when it feels too challenging to you, YOU CAN DO IT! You amaze us all and I can't wait for the next chance to tell you that in person!
    Love,
    Dawn (frick, frack, & Michael too)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great to hear from you! Keep attacking that therapy...you are a miracle...keep it going!

    ReplyDelete