Anniversary in French Lick

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

One Step Closer to Home

Hello everyone. I want to thank everybody for their your thoughts and prayers. It's really meant a lot to myself and my family. I'd especially like to thank all of the Campbells, Floras, Gotschs, Hesters, Wisthuffs, Rexeisens, Moeschbergers, Louis, and the Guidos who all went together and purchased me the laptop that I'm using to write this.

Sara has returned to NC, my parents back to IL and Melissa is getting back to work again so I'll try to keep everyone updated on my progress.

I have had quite a bit of progress in the last two days but wanted to let it all play out before posting.

As Melissa said, we've been having some trouble with my insurance accepting my next step of rehab. All of the medical professionals agreed that I needed to go into an acute rehab center which would give me the attention and therapy I am requiring to get stronger. United Healthcare (my insurance provider) wanted to send me to a nursing home since it'd be cheaper. Melissa had done a lot of asking around and settled on Rehabilitation Hospital of Indiana on the west side of Indianapolis as our preferred acute rehab facility so a representative came up and talked with us yesterday around 3pm. She made some calls and by 5:30 we were approved by insurance, accepted by RHI and my discharge papers were signed. I was transferred down here early this afternoon. The goal set forth by my hematologist is to be able to walk into his office and sit down under my own strength in his office on March 29. If I'm able to do this, they will check me in for ~4days and give me my first round of maintenance chemo through an IV, the same way they had done before which worked extremely well. If I am not strong enough by then, they will have to back down the dosage and administer it differently. So that's my goal, getting walking in 4 weeks.

Now I said that there was a lot of good news and this is true. Not only did we get over the insurance obstacle yesterday, but I also was able to transfer myself to a wheel chair, stand up and take my first steps (with the help of a walker and two physical therapists). I don't remember sweating so much last time I walked...

I start the intense rehab tomorrow morning at 6am so I'm going to roll over on my good ear and try to block out my roommates blaring tv and get some sleep. I'll write an update tomorrow with a summary of how therapy went, if I don't end up sleeping the rest of the day.


Eric

15 comments:

  1. Eric,

    It really is good to hear that you are progressing! Keep up the good work! I got some stuff going on in my car that I need you to look at, so get better soon so that I can take advantage of you... Er... Kindly ask for your help and treat you at O'Bryan's.

    All my best,
    Joshua

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eric it is so great to hear you are doing so well. It is amazing that you have taken over your own updates. Luke truly enjoyed the chance to visit. Keep up the hard work and we will keep you in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. keep up the good work. I am definitely glad to see your name at the bottom of this post. I am sure you will be able to tap dance into that doctors office :)

    Anthony Pitts

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeaaaaa Eric! :) can't wait to hear what tomorrow brings... from, matthew and sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric - we all know how hard this next stage will be for you, but are extremely confident that you will make it look easy - just like you have in the past.

    Many of us remember the guy that played a full basketball season with broken bones in his chest - and made 90 blocked shots.

    We also remember you marching a tuba a month after brain tumor surgery.

    We'll just add success in rehab to this list.

    I'm sure all your family and friends join me in supporting you in any way we can. Let us know if you need anything.

    love

    mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Walking- 4 weeks. Culver + Dan's ribs = 4 mothns!
    -Amanda & Dan

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! It's wonderful that you can post now. Hard work ahead but you can do it!

    Love, Aunt Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,
    It's so awesome to see you posting on the blog!!!! Can't wait to see you again.

    Love you,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep up the good work and great attitude!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It was great to see you the other day! It was a much better visit than last time :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It was great to see you on Saturday!
    Mat and I live less than 10 minutes away from where you are, so please let us know if you need anything at all.
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Eric,

    Glad to see you guys got through the insurance obstacle and into a place where you need to be!

    And 4 weeks to get walking?? Psshhhaaahhhh!!! Judging from your history (in your Mom's comment) and what I've seen from other cancer survivors getting walking again, we should all be placing our bets on a much sooner date!! :)

    Have you gotten all of your food cravings satisfied yet?

    Take care and keep it up!
    ~Kim Ringenberger

    P.S. That 'Mike' clown up there with the bike is my other brother. I can't believe I just admitted to that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey buddy! I finally got internet so I can keep better track of how things are going, awesome to hear you up and around. Thinkin' about ya,

    Molly

    ReplyDelete
  14. Eric, this is great! We are extremely existed to see you make this posting.
    Look forward to seeing you on your feet again.
    Love, Uncle Jim and Aunt Holly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Unless he's blaring speed channel tell him to turn it off, haha. Anyway, "what up" again from a fellow papa alum.

    Steve Kacmarik

    ReplyDelete