Anniversary in French Lick

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

New Toys

I received my insurance supplied crutches and wheel chair today. My therapist took one look at them and gave them back to the company that was dropping them off. She then called a different company and they dropped off a new set of crutches, wheel chair and a chair for the shower around 3:30. She took a look at the wheel chair and sent that back also but approved the crutches and shower chair. They are bringing over a new wheel chair tomorrow morning, this one will have wheelie bars!

We tried out the new crutches during our afternoon session. I walked around outside for a while and then we went back inside to try walking without crutches, in the parallel bars just in case. I was swaying back and forth as I walked so she said I wasn't strong enough to do that full time. We then worked on walking with a single crutch since RHI doesn't have a cane tall enough for me. I did pretty well with that, walking about 400' at a time.

This morning with OT we did the weekly assessment of my grip. When I arrived here, my grip was 25% of what it should be for someone of my age. Now it's up to 45%. They are going to do it again on Friday so they starting working on my hands quite a bit today because they would really like to have me over 50% by the time I leave here Saturday morning.

Eric

1 comment: