Anniversary in French Lick

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Seton Specialty Hospital

Hi Everyone!

Eric had a good trip back to Lafayette yesterday. He kept talking about how good it was to smell some fresh air while they moved him from IU to the ambulance. I got to sit with him in the ambulance, which was really nice. Eric was able to sit up and see the snow out the back window along the way. The snow around here didn't start till late last night, so we missed any complications from that. Which is wonderful, considering I couldn't get out of the neighborhood this morning. The beauty of living a mile from the hospital was that I was able to walk here. :) It was actually kind of nice, since it wasn't too cold and the snow was pretty.

Before we left IU yesterday, Eric had us reading the blog posts to him. We started at the beginning and got to about the end of January before we had to leave. He took the news really well, and said that he hadn't realized how sick he was. He really enjoyed hearing from everyone and understands a bit more why everyone is so excited to see him. :)

Now we are trying to settle in to the new routine and staff. I guess there is always the adjustment period: we're getting used to new protocols, and the staff is trying to catch up on everything that has happened to him in the last two months. We're really hoping to make a plan with all of the rehab people to set goals for us. It helps knowing what needs to happen before we can get to the milestones we want.

Stay warm out there, and be safe in the snow!

Love,
Melissa and Eric

7 comments:

  1. Great to hear that you made it back to Lafayette before the storms hit. Good luck with the goal setting and adjusting to the new environment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Melissa!

    You don't know me, but Eric and I used to go to the same church in Junior High/High School. Thank you so much for keeping everyone up to date with everything. I work for an Assisted Living faciility in Illinois and we pray for Eric and the family everyday. They ask about him everyday and I'm so happy to report all the good news lately.

    Please tell Eric I said hello and thanks again for all you've been doing on the blog.

    Becky Gropp
    Peoria, IL

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to see Eric's name at the end of the blog entry!! :) Nick and I would like to plan another visit for when Eric gets a little stronger. We'll be in touch soon!! Love you guys.
    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Melissa & Eric...Welcome Home! I'm glad to hear you're back in the neighborhood. Let John and I know if we can bring you some dinner or walk the doggie. Molly and Murphy would love to see Bailey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear you are back in Lafayette and on the road to recovery. We have been watching your blog, wishing and praying for you from MN. I know many at Cat have been also.

    Our Best wishes from RFA.
    Hope your new bed fits...Dave T.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY!!! little Emily & I are glad to hear the good news!! I know Jon & Jackie are excited too!! Now you just have to work playing some COD/xbox into the rehab program...hehehe (just kidding)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't know me at all, but your sister Sara and my friend Diana were close at Purdue, and when I heard of your illness, I began to pray for you and follow this blog. I am so glad to hear that you are back closer to home, although I'm sure being that close, you wish you were there... I've been praying for you every night and am truly happy that you have come so far with your recovery. May God continue to bless you and watch over you all.

    Jennifer Meadows

    ReplyDelete